In this ‘Backcountry Basics Step 2 – Get the Training’ video, what you’ll learn from an avalanche course, where to find one–and how to keep your skills current by practicing with friends and taking refresher courses.
BEFORE YOU HEAD INTO THE BACKCOUNTRY
1. Take an avalanche safety course and learn the backcountry basics:
- How different kinds of avalanches occur
- How terrain choices and changing weather impact your safety
- How to travel in avalanche terrain to minimize your risk
- How to make smart decisions as a group
- How to rescue one or more buried people
- How your actions can impact the safety of other groups
2. Learn how to provide first aid to an injured member of your party.